Pages

Thursday 7 August 2014

Summer so far...

Well, after Russia it’s fair to say I was on a bit of a high. It took about a week to sink in. But I couldn't let it affect me as I still had some hard training to do during the summer for the last few events of the season. There was a great training camp in Loughborough which only a small group of athletes attended during July so that was a good solid week of training. 
The first of my races left was the Virgin Active London triathlon. I done this race last year and absolutely loved it. This year it was just as good. Before the race I visited the vision for sport stand and they were kind enough to give me a great new pair of glasses which I wore to race. First I changed the lenses as it was a bit of a dull day so this made the road clearer. The race was good, I had a solid lead out of the swim and all I had to do was hold it on the bike and run to achieve first place.
I just had to recover quickly ready to race the next day, so thanks to H2pro I managed to rehydrate and fuel up well ready for the National Open water championships in Rother Valley country park the next day. I was quite nervous for this event as a triathlete racing just swimmers, it was going to be very tough. I had good dive and a solid first 100m to get myself up in the mix of the race. I done this event last year but I was still very unsure on pacing myself over 2km. The course was two 1000m laps. The first lap I think I could have gone out faster, but I now have the confidence to do this, so hopefully next year I will know better. But one the 2nd lap I really tried to up the pace and luckily I found myself with 2 other girls pushing on so I managed to cling onto them (for the majority of the lap). I did lose my top swim hat on the second lap and my bottom one was only being held on by my goggles so that was taking my mind off the pain. But I was very happy with a finish of 11th place. I was hoping to break top 10 but 11th isn't too shabby.
Back to Norwich for a couple of days training then back up to Sheffield for the 800m National pool championships. This was the first time I have raced this event at nationals so I was quite unsure about how to take it. I like going out fast so I thought I would just stick to my guns and go for it. Apparently everyone else in my race likes to go out even faster than I do. I was clinging on to the girl to my right, (the girl to my left was already 5m ahead by 100m but the gap stayed that size) and managed to hold onto her for 700m but then she “dropped the hammer” as my coach Alex said and dropped me. The first thing I said to Alex after the race was " That was the longest 800m of my life" But I was happy to come 5th in my heat and only less than a second off my pb! I also had my highest ever national pool finish of 21st in my age group. So all in all it has been a good week so far.

BACK to Norwich we came,  making sure I am well ready and well recovered for British Triathlon championships this weekend in Liverpool. I just got back from a visit to Carl Goose, where I received a wonderful sports massage and am now loosened up ready for Liverpool. Just the final preparation to go in the next few days and then off on Saturday, ready to race Sunday.
Me crossing the finish line at the London Triathlon

Me (number 6)  walking out onto the pontoon ready to start the Open water National Champs

No comments:

Post a Comment